Have I got a story to tell you, world!
My car. The Silver Bullet. Rest in peace....pieces?
Leaving my parent's house at twilight, climbing 4th of July pass, it suddenly sounded like I WAS A HELICOPTER! Not what a car is supposed to sound like. I tightened my grip and prepared for the worst. I gently tapped the gas, I was only going 50mph. As I tapped the pedal, ever so slightly, my wheel broke off and cut back under my carriage.
Surprisingly, it was NOT the CV joint as expected. The bolt separated from the axle. It tore a rod out of my transmission and spilled fluid all over the road. Thankfully, I was warned (by the helicopter) and held tight onto the wheel and did not lose control. There was a car some distance behind me who saw me "wreck" and pulled over behind me. He offered a ride into Spokane, but had no phone. So I sent him on his way in hopes of someone else stopping soon. I put up the hood as a universal distress signal. Now, when I pulled over, the car came to a stop before I was ready therefore the tail end stuck out over the fog line by a couple of inches. I was sooooo oooo ooo worried that the car would be hit and the children obliterated. Thankfully, that did not happen as it was still a little light out, I had my e-lights on and it was an open stretch. 10 very long minutes and about 40 cars/lorries later, some folks stopped.
As awful as it was to wreck, there were so many blessings:
I died in an open stretch of road, so oncoming traffic was able to see I was sticking out.
I died smack next to a double emergency turn-around.
I died less than a half-mile from where my dad's Dodge blew up last summer (made it easier for him to find).
It was still light out.
We did not die.
We were not hurt.
The people who picked us up were returning from a trip to my hometown, Missoula.
The man is on a job pouring a foundation right by my parent's house.
The woman works in Spokane (a blessing because we left Ellis' BELOVED blankie in her car).
They people did not kidnap us.
My brother Marshall was at my parents house to help my dad go pick up the car.
A cop showed up as my mother stopped to get my suitcase and helped her with it (it ways about 50lbs).
The cop waited for my dad/brother to come instead of a $200 tow.
The cop helped my dad and brother load the car.
My mother got the suitcase and picked us up and took us home.
I got a new car.
That is right! I got a new car already! Tonight. oh. my. I have never in my life had anything so nice. so new! it is a '98. Most my vehicles have been my age. mid-late 80's. I have to stay here in Idaho tonight because we couldn't licence it in time today. I'll be home tomorrow and ready to show it off! Guess what spokane mothers? This means that we can finally have a playdate! Huzzah! anyone available Friday?
Ford Explorer

Yay for your new car!! But seriously that just sounds terrifying!
ReplyDelete